The Vocke Building was constructed in 1835 as a general store that was first operated by Sidney Chaffee. A later proprietor of the general store, A.M. Hecker operated a general store in the building between 1875 and 1898.
The King’s Bakery (pictured here), along with a cobbler, were located in the building between 1898 and 1906. A confectionery and ice cream parlor owned by Pop Jackson was housed his until 1911. Then it was a tailor shop.
The upper floor was the home for several clubs. The Thistle Club headquarters was in the upstairs room from 1892 to 1969 and The Junior Lodge was located here from 1920 to 1928.
Beginning in the 1930s, a succession of restaurants operated out of the lower floor of the building including the Charles Priller restaurant, Dunnick’s, Polly’s Confectionary, Lombardo’s, Roberta’s, and Rohrer’s Family Restaurant.
The Coldwater Cafe was the last restaurant to be located in the building when it operated there between 1994 and 2008 when it moved to its current location on the same city block.