Originally known as the City Building, this structure was built in 1874 by Charles Trupp. It had housed a 100-gallon Chicago chemical fire engine, which was moved to city park in 1878.
It was considered the city (then known as Tippecanoe) “nerve center” since it was the site of police and fire departments, town hall, jail, post office, the first city library, and a place for social gatherings. In 1990, the city’s municipal offices moved out of the building and into a new facility on South Garber Drive.
The building has been occupied by Tipp Monroe Community Services since the 1990s and also was home to the Chamber of Commerce for several years in the 1990s and early 2000s.