In the late 1800s, the site of the future Post Office was used for horse stables and a woodshed on the Rouzer’s property.
Local legend claims that Civil War “Colonel” D. M. Rouzer buried the horse he rode in the war on the property. According to the story, the “Colonel's” widow, Mary Rouzer, left a will that prohibited any building to be constructed over the horses grave. However, in an agreement made in 1904 between Mrs. Rouzer and her neighbor, Ellis Kerr, regarding the removal of the stables and woodshed, there was no mention of the buried horse. In the late 1900s, when the post office was being renovated, they refused to build overtop the spot where the horse was supposedly buried. Today, the spot remains covered in only grass. It’s still a mystery if the horse is truly there.
The building which now stands on the property started construction in 1936 and opened to the public in 1939.
In that same year, the Post Office and War Department officials conducted an investigation of post office clerk Arthur Judd when it was revealed that he gave a speech about temperance in a church four years earlier. This was prohibited because Mr. Judd was also a member of the school board and was prohibited from “hiring a hall” to give a political speech. The results of the investigation are unknown, but Judd retired in 1964 in good graces.
In 1993, the Post Office moved to 520 N Hyatt Street and Royal Crest Insurance moved into the building a few years later.
In 1995 Dayton-based and nationally recognized rock bands The Amps and Guided By Voices performed a concert in the vacant Post Office Building to support The Amps successful single, and love song to Ohio, “Tipp City”.