In 1852 Andrew Cotral erected the first portion of the hotel building on Main Street east of Second Street. Later, the building was expanded to the corner of Main and Second. At its peak, the hotel boasted 28 rooms, but had just one communal bathroom.
The hotel was later owned by C.M. Kauffman and then David Carles, who operated it as a hotel, tavern, and billiard parlor under the name Carles House. It was bought by John Nunlist in 1877, who continued running it as a hotel until 1925. It was known as the City Hotel from 1898 to 1911.
Clyde Livingston, a carnival concession owner, shot and killed himself in the lobby of the hotel for unknown reasons.
At one time, there was a porch in front where bands would play on special occasions.
The building has been the home for many businesses over the years, and it is large enough that more than one at a time were located there even while it was a hotel.
Between 1898 and 1911, the corner room was a barbershop (run by Bake Staup and later Freddie Oakes). Then it was a billiard parlor, an automobile dealership (owned by Bill Dreams), and an A & P Grocery.
Beginning in 1925, the building housed a jewelry store, first operated by Charles Coble and then by Ralph Warner starting in 1937.
In 1930, Paul and Richard Stile’s bought the building and opened the Style’s Shoe Store. They named the store Styles instead of Stile’s as a sort of pun because they sold sold stylish shoes.
Several restaurants and bars have operated out of the building, including Ford Yount’s restaurant and The Maple Restaurant (which was run by Mary Neil and then by George Schram).
Other businesses located here have included The Potter’s House coffee shop, Hampton Hill Collectibles, Tipp City Cyclery, Morning Sun Florist, The Time Golf Company, the Angel Antique Emporium, and Craft Stoves.
The building was purchased by its current owner, Steve Watson, in 1987. He and his wife Sally operate it as a collection of shops and a community gathering place.